Thursday, January 13, 2011

Winter English Camp


Pablo (yep I named him Pablo) is
showing and telling us all about his favorite book

Hello Friends, for the last two and a hlaf weeks I have been teaching a English camp.  I got the opportunity (well-it was part of my job description) to create and teach a three week long winter camp where I would be targeting four grade levels.  I was pretty excited but of course with any thing that is new I was a little nervous.  Those who know me know I have a really difficult time making decisions so havinf a blank canvas is sometimes a little difficult for me.  So the challenge begins right away!  So far it has turned out to be a rewarding expereince.  I have been able to take criticism, see students grow, think fast on the spot (yep, make multiple decisions at a rapid pace) and just walk beside my students and get to know them and hopefully help them feel more comfortable speaking in English.  It has been rewarding for sure!  I really LOVE teaching!

Here is the theme I used:

Don't Be A Grinch About English




Since Christmas time was only a few days behind us I decided to do a winter social/emotional themed unit.
The goal was to learn, practice and HAVE FUN speaking English

My Scheduel was as follows:
Week 1- 3rd Grade Two, 2 hour sessions total of 23students
Week 2- 4th grade Two, 2 hour sessions total of 27 students
Week 3- 5th and 6th grade One two hour session each total of 14 students

We read two Dr. Seuss books, made Oreo balls, played a ton of games, sang a few songs, went on a few word hunts, got a few nerves out with some speaking presentations, got our hands dirty making our own weather (Oobleck) and made sure we laughed and learned together!


Here is my famous "eh, snap and I don;t think so"
This kiddo just had so much fun being "it"


Setting the stage for a story
 re-tell and then a fun game
of "pin the heart on the grinch"


Oobleck <3
 







Oh Oobleck is fascinating!


Ah, my sixth graders!  I was very nervous to teach sixth grade..it went well!
We had a ramyen party on the last day, yum : 0 )
 
Two more days and I am officially on my winter vacation!  Off to India I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment