Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A little of this and little of that...


Soo (one of my two Co-Teachers) and her son Shioo
Soo took me on a bus adventure through Seoul
when I first arrived it was great fun!  
                                                                            
Soo also took me out to dinner when Anyang
(the city I live in) had a festival,
I met her husband and ate some Korean pizza!

Hello my friends!  You are almost caught up, yay!  I have had many random outtings here in Korea.  Random meaning they come up fast and are unplanned and the things I end up doing brings surprise to myself each time.  Here are a few of those moments. 

I made a instant friend upon my arrival who showed me much kindness.  I decided to show my thanks by
 taking this friend out to dinner.  Turns out they had some plans of their own to welcome me even more.
During dinner my friend asked me (knowing I am not much of a meat eater) if I ate fish and if I cook with it often.  I said "Oh yes, I like fish and I cooked it all the time for dinner back home". 
Something to keep in mind: 
I was answering yes I like fish while thinking the fish would be without scales and bones already preparred to eat and I cook fish I have boughten from the store ready to go nothing dirty involved. 


My dinner?

After my answer we began talking about something else.  For a brief second I though, "hmm that was a random question" then I was distracted and forgot all about it.  When we were finished and ready to part eachother I was reminded.  My friend gave me a present to show their appreciation and thanks.  This present was a freshly killed, still bloody FISH.  My friend said they were happy to hear I could cook fish so chopping the head off and gutting it should be no problem.  I thought, EH, UH what do you want me to do with this fish???  I have never, NEVER gutted a fish before.  Well this was sure to be an adventure.  It really was a kind gesture and part of me really did feel honored.  Random for sure!




SoonDooBoo
 The food here in Korea is definitely differnet compared to what I am used to, but I always enjoy trying new things!  My third week here I set out to find a church and made a new friend who took me out to my first dinner in Korea.  We ate SoonDooBoo (I have no idea if that is right, but it is how it sounds).  Turns out Soondooboo is one of my favorite dishes here.  It is soft tofu soup that is SPICY served with a bowl of rice and customary side dishes. The rice comes in a stone dish that.  You must take the rice out of the stone and place in a bowl then pour water in the stone bowl.  Ah, also before you eat your tofu soup you crack an egg in the soup, it is hot enough to cook the egg.
When you finish your meal you drink the rice water, it is considered as a dessert here in Korea and is defined as refreshing!  I liked it!  Ok, well hope that gave you a decent dose of what you are missing out on in my life, be ready to read more soon!  The year is almost over so I better get a hurry on catching you up, I have three more things that I must share with you before the year ends, so keep tuned in!  <3



No comments:

Post a Comment