Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fishing in Korea (Last Trip to Bonghwa)

Crossing the street to DongSeoul Station
Towards the last weekend in July the little country town of Bonghwa had it's annual fish festival. Jesse and Teresa had told me about this event and apparently it was a big deal. I thought to myself..."Well, I like fishing, and it's a big deal, I better be there!" I was swamped with prep work for my English camps starting the next week but made the trip regardless. It turned out to be a great time and a nice breather from not only the city but lesson planning.



At the Bus Station
I arrived to the DongSeoul bus station about four hours too early (apparently the fish festival was a big deal and all the buses were booked!). I wondered around and finally the time came to get on the bus for about three hours. When I go to the station Jesse greeted me in Yeonju (a nearby city) and we went to Bonghwa, where Teresa had prepared a delicious fish feast in celebration for the festival.
Teresa and I with the Creepy Statues
We spent the time wondering through the festival and around Bonghwa. We saw some creepy statues, cars being pulled by giant robot animals, and lots of food. To get the festival started right, the night of my arrival we took a ride in a GIANT goose. That was a lot of fun. After our goose ride we waited for a spectacular firework show which really was impressive. The next day we did a little more wondering, and I stayed to see the anticipated fishing expedition before heading back to the city. This was a great last trip to Bonghwa and I will miss the simple and slow paced life of Korean country living. It was great to have Jesse and Teresa here in Korea to visit and even better to get to see a different part of the country! Though I loved the visits, it helped me to see how perfect being in the city was for me in this season of life. It is always good to take a break but just as good to return!
Giant Goose Boat!!!

The fishers charging into the river!

Some very smart fishers!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment