Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!


I had each of my classes make a
"I'm thankful for__" Turkey. 
They turned out great!
 Happy Thanksgiving Friends!  I am missing home, just a little but I am not missing having to smell and look at turkey!  That is a plus!  This is my first year not being home for any holiday and I thought it would be more difficult.  Turns out, when you are in another country that does not have the same holidays, the time just passes and you almost miss that the date reprsents such a significant day to your home.  None the less I managed to remember, and share a little of the history behind all the tradition with my co-teacher, new friends, and my students.

I wanted to make a traditional treat to take to school and share with my colleagues and principals.  Seemed like a great idea, the only problems were: One, I have no oven (so no baking).  Two the ingredients here are bare minimum of what I am used to and what most of my reciepes call for.  However, there is always hope! I made Orea Balls and Peanut Butter Balls!  They turned out great!  I used a cookie that is similar to Oreos and had no problem finding peanut butter or cream cheese! It was so fun getting to share an "american" treat that I was used to back home with the people in my life here. 

Here are the recipes I used:

Crunchy Peanut Butter Balls

12 Oreo cookies
1/4 cup milk
8 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
spoonful of honey
Crush the Oreos in a bowl. Add the milk and mix. Add the peanut butter and honey. Roll into balls Refrigerate on a plate for at least 30 minutes.

Oreo Balls (white choclate)

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces softened cream cheese or whipped cream cheese
  • 18 ounces package of Oreo cookies, crushed (crush the entire cookie- don't remove the filling!)
  • 2 cups semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
Directions:

1.  Mix the cream cheese in with the crushed oreo cookies and chill for atleast two hours in the freezer Then roll cookie mix into one inch sized balls. 
2.  Melt white chocolate chips and dip orea balls into the chocolate completly using tongs or a toothpick.  Put them on wax paper and keep in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment